Wednesday, December 25, 2013

We are Together



I have a friend Sammy at church. He is from Nigeria. I don't know all the details of his life, but I know his family is back in Nigeria and he misses them terribly. We are helping him get on his feet after coming to this country. He helps out a lot at church. When we made supper for the missionaries who came out to help with Hurricane Sandy cleanup, Sammy was there in the kitchen helping us. He's often around the church, helping out. Whenever you give Sammy a compliment or a condolence-Sammy thanks for helping me do the dishes, or, Sammy you sing beautifully, or, Sammy I'm sorry your family is so far away-he grasps your hand and says, in his beautiful, deep, African accent, "We ah togethah."

Isn't that a lovely way to respond to someone? We are together. We ARE together. The lonely people, the lovely people, the people who hate people, the people who want to be away from people. We are all together. Like it or not. We are together. I might have to try that.


Did I mention he has a beautiful voice? *




*Our church put together a CD of beautiful songs to raise money for immigration reform. Sammy's is one of them. Let me know if you're interested in buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment