Monday, March 10, 2014

The Wolf is Back

How to Cook a Wolf. It's a book by MFK FIsher. I highly recommend it, Mary Frances Kennedy is in a class by herself. It's about how to cook on short shrift, originally written during WWII when gourmands and everyone else had to make do or do without. A book about cooking? But not a cook book? But it does contain the occasional recipe. Why would I read that, you say? Like Jazz, either you get it or it can't be explained. Just read it and thank me later.

Our wolf is back, although I *guess* it's not as bad as a world war. But we are making do and doing without. Without a car, again, in fact. Now we are saving up for another used dealer deal and doing without until that time. At least it's Spring, sigh. Except that now the electric is due. Once it heats up they can turn off the juice, so next paycheck goes to PSE&G.

Just when I think I can't take any more. But I seem to be maintaining. Thank you, Cymbalta. Also, I've faced down this wolf before, with much less ammo and bacon fat than before. 

Anyhoo, those Christian types are always telling me that you should turn to God in times of strife, sooo, while looking for my bluetooth speaker charger, I found my Holy Bible in the bedside draw and decided, What the shit? Let's have a look.

       " Bel bows down, Nebo stoops low; their idols are borne by beasts of burden. The images that are carried about are burdensome, a burden for the weary. They stoop and bow down together; unable to rescue the burden, they themselves go off into captivity.

Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you  whom I have upheld since you were conceived and have carried since your birth. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

...some pour out gold from their bags and weigh out silver on the scales; they hire a goldsmith to make it into a god and they bow down and worship it...though one cries out to it, it does not answer; it cannot save him from his troubles. "       Isaiah 46:1-7

So that. Money won't save me. It'd be nice, but I can't worship it. Not that I have much of it to worship anyways. But I will say that old Isaiah did help, actually. Imagine being an Old Testament Jew, chillin around Jerusalem, eating the falafel and the next thing you know you're being carried off to Babylon, weeping and gnashing. Possibly your family is lost or killed, you've lost all your possessions and everything you've ever known is gone. I will sing a new song, indeed.

We did not sing any songs, but we did cook up some steak that had been sitting in the fridge and needed to be cooked, bought before we realized we're broke, along with some mashed potatoes, asparagus and braised red cabbage. And a bottle of red wine. Cause seriously, today's a day for wine. You might as well celebrate and smile at that ol'  wolf, cause I may not have much but at least I have a full belly and a family that loves me, together at the dinner table. Take that wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment